The New York State Office of Children and Family Services is committed to providing assistance with childcare costs to eligible families through the Child Care Subsidy Program. Childcare subsidies can help parents/caretakers pay for some or all of the cost of childcare services. General guidelines:
- families are eligible for financial assistance if they meet the state’s low income guidelines and need child care to work, look for work, or attend employment training.
- You are guaranteed childcare if you are on Temporary Assistance and need childcare in order to meet any work participation requirements.
- You are also guaranteed assistance in paying for childcare for one year after leaving Temporary Assistance if you left Temporary Assistance for a job and need childcare to go to work.
- Your County Department of Social Services (DSS) determines family eligibility based on income, reasons for needing day care, and your child’s age and individual needs.
- In most cases, families receiving a childcare subsidy can choose any legal childcare provider.
- Visit OCFS.NY.gov for additional information.
The Child Care Council of Westchester, Inc. “offers free information and resources and can help you apply for financial assistance through Westchester County, called the Child Day Care Subsidy, if you qualify.”
- Their office is located in Scarsdale and can be reached at (914) 761-3456 or 1 (844) 387-7525.
- Child Care Specialists are available on Tuesdays until 7:00 pm. Visit their website at childcarewestchester.org for additional information.
- OUR MOTHERS CAN MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO MEET WITH A BILINGUAL CHILDCARE SPECIALIST IN OUR OFFICE TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION
- Parenting teens who are currently enrolled as full-time high school students may be eligible for no or low cost childcare as an incentive to stay in school
The Child Care Center provides a tool to locate a Child Care facility in your community. In addition, the locations, descriptions and contact information of daycare provided in private homes (rather than a daycare facility) are also available at this website; with some actually participate in a subsidized childcare program. Visit childcarecenter.us/county/westchester_ny for additional information.
Local Head Start Daycare Programs in Peekskill who accept the childcare subsidy:
- Aunt Bessie’s Open Door located at 137 Union Avenue, Peekskill NY. (914) 737-9166
- Westchester Community Opportunity Program (WESTCOP) Peekskill Head Start/Day Care Center located at 705 South Street, Peekskill NY provides early childhood programs. (914) 592-5600. Visit westcop.org for additional information.